The Top 10 Favorite Books of All Time
When it comes to books, we are very old-fashioned.
Our favorite book in the United States--across all demographic groups--is the Bible, undoubtedly the same book our great-grandparents favored, too.
That's the word from a Harris Poll that asked 2,234 U.S. adults to name their favorite books.
While Margaret Mitchell's Civil War story, "Gone With the Wind" came in No. 2, much of the top 10 list is dominated by classic titles that are typically read in high school English classes.
The top 10 favorite books of all time:
1. The Bible
2. "Gone With the Wind," by Margaret Mitchell
3. "Harry Potter" series, by J.K. Rowling
4. "Lord of the Rings," by J.R.R. Tolkien
5. "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee
6. "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville
7. "Catcher in the Rye," by J.D. Salinger
8. "Little Women," by Louisa May Alcott
9. "The Grapes of Wrath," by John Steinbeck
10. "The Great Gatsby," by F. Scott Fitzgerald
After the Bible, second favorite books:
--From the Editors at Netscape