These Foods Will Help You Lose Weight
Wouldn't it be amazing if you could sip a glass of Merlot, nibble on chocolate AND lose weight?
Dreams do come true.
This can be a recipe for weight loss. Prevention magazine has identified five (surprising) foods that can help you lose weight, as long as you consume them in moderation.
1. Chili peppers Capsaicin, the compound in chili peppers that makes them hot, may turn white fat into brown fat, which in turn stimulates thermogenesis to help you fight weight gain. White fat cells store energy, while brown fat cells burn stored fat.
2. Red wine Dark-colored grapes can help you burn fat more effectively. Ellagic acid, a compound found in grapes, not only slows the growth of existing fat cells, but also slows the formation of new fat cells in the liver. Snack on grapes, drink grape juice or enjoy a glass of red wine.
3. Prunes Add prunes to your weight loss program and you're more likely to lose even more weight. A British study found that those who ate prunes lost 5.5 pounds during the study period, compared with the 3.3 pounds lost, on average, by those who didn't eat prunes. In addition, prunes increase a feeling of fullness. Just be sure the dried prunes you buy have no added sugar or all bets are off.
4. Potatoes Yes, potatoes have a high glycemic index, but you can still eat them and lose weight. The key is calories. Potatoes, when prepared in a healthy way, have a place in a low-calorie diet. There is no evidence they lead to weight gain, provided you don't stuff them with butter and sour cream!
5. Chocolate You will not gain weight if you indulge in chocolate. There are just two caveats: It must be dark chocolate and you must consume it in moderation. Have one square--not the entire bar--as an after-dinner treat.
--From the Editors at Netscape